Saturday, September 3, 2011

BALL® CANNING SUPPLIES

I would like to thank Jarden Home Brands, or Ball®, for responding and taking the time to look at the pictures. I would also like to point out that out of the 7 new cases of jars and lids I purchased this year, I had this problem with only one of the cases.

If you should ever experience this, here's what is recommended by the company.


The sealing problem appears to be the result of a buckled lid. Our home canning lids are made to release the pressure inside the jar that builds up during processing.  This is called “venting” and after the jar is vented, the lid seals, leaving a vacuum.  Occasionally, if the band is screwed down too tightly, the lid seals onto the jar before it has thoroughly vented. When this happens, pressure within the jar builds up causing the lid to buckle. To help prevent this from happening, we recommend screwing the bands down to the point of resistance.
Boiling the lids may also cause buckling. When lids are boiled, the sealing compound may be softened too much. This could cause the jar to seal prematurely. Then, as the jars seals, the lid will buckle. Lids should be placed in a saucepan of water and heated until hot (180°F).
A rapid drop in the temperature of a pressure canner may also cause buckling. For this reason, we recommend allowing the canner to cool naturally.
In addition, excess air in the jar may also cause the lids to buckle. Use a non metallic utensil to remove excess air from jars before sealing. Accurate headspace is important and the appropriate amount should be used for each food type.


******************************************

I have always relied on BALL to provide me with the best canning supplies. I have never had a problem with the lids until this year. I don't know if BALL is OUTSOURCING the manufacturing of the lids or not, but just take a look at these pictures of the jars I processed today and tell me if this is acceptable to you?





Ok, I guess you get the idea. I do have more pictures and could go on and on and on.

You know, I'm just a simple housewife who want's to do what's right for my family. I want to know who grew the food, (Me and my friend) I want to know who handles the food, and I want LIDS that seal. Am I asking for to much in this NEW GLOBLE WORLD that we live in?

No comments: